As it has been over 3 years since i last did it i had sort of forgotten what to pack in a hospital bag! It is so easy to get carried away and overpack but I have really tried to get it to the minimum as I aim to be in and out fairly quickly, I have a bag at home with some extras in that Phil can bring in if needed.
After having Seb I found that having mine and his stuff in one bag was a bit of a faff and because I had a difficult birth, Phil found himself going through everything trying to get the things out Seb needed while I was still under general anaesthetic. I learnt from this and with Alex I packed 2 separate bags and we found it much easier.
For the baby I am using our new changing bag. I haven't shown it off yet but I bought the BabyMel Grace bag in tan this time, my old Yummy Mummy bag is looking worse for wear and after over 5 years of carrying a changing bag around I wanted a handbag style of bag but of course still need it to be roomy and practical.
- 2 short sleeved vests
- 2 plain sleep suits
- Nappies; I have packed cloth nappies plus a wet bag but also some disposable just incase we have to stay in longer
- Changing mat
- Cotton wool
- Coming home outfit; short sleeved vest, patterned sleep suit, hand knitted cardigan and hat (not pictured as grandma is knitting these)
- Cellular blanket
- Car seat (this will stay in the car until needed)
For my bag I am just using an overnight bag that I already own.
- Your maternity notes and birth plan
- Button front nightie for labour
- Hair bands
- Squirty water bottle
- Black bath sheet and flannel
- Maternity pads × 20
- Breast pads × 20
- Nipple shields
- Huge black pants (I got some massive ones in Primark)
- Nursing bras
- Dark pj bottoms for post birth
- Top suitable for nursing
- Toiletries(shower gel and body cream, deodorant, shampoo, dry shampoo, face wipes, moisturiser, antibacterial hand gel, lip balm, toothbrush and paste)
- Make up and hairbrush
- Camera, phone with charger and a book or magazines
- Comfortable going home clothes(maternity leggings and a dark dress for me)
That is pretty much what I have packed. I do have some ready made bottles of milk at home but have decided not to pack these as I will be attempting to breastfeed and it can always be brought in if needed. Phil will have a spare top and snacks too incase we are in for a while!