20 things to do over the Easter Holidays in Wakefield
The Easter Holidays are here again and everyone wants to keep the kids occupied. I have put together a list of 20 things to do over the Easter Holidays in Wakefield. There is so much to do in and around Wakefield we are spoilt for choice! Keeping everyone busy needn't be expensive either, many of the things on this list are free of charge.
- Anglers Country Park Take the kids on The Room on the Broom trail around the lake. You can grab an activity pack from reception. There are egg and bunny decorating sessions running on the weekend of the 14th-16th April.
- Nostell Priory National Trust properties always offer a great day out and Nostell Priory is no exception. Explore the parkland, enjoy the natural play area and head inside the house. In the run up to Easter Nostell Priory is one of the venues for the Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt.
- Thornes Park Head to the park to feed the ducks, kick a football around and burn some energy in the playground. There are even brass band concerts on the 9th and 23rd of April.
- The Hepworth We love visiting The Hepworth and have been to various family activities there. This Easter you can head down and create some wearable sculpture with the kids.
- RSPB Fairburn Ings A great place to observe nature. Over the holidays head here for a free family Easter Discovery Quiz Trail.
- Pontefract Castle Castles are pretty magical when you are small and at Pontefract Castle you can step back in history and even tske a tour of the dungeons. On the 13th April there is a special dragon egg trail free for all the family to enjoy.
- National Coal Mining Museum Visit the NCM for underground tours, meet the pit ponies and over the Easter holidays there are various things activities going on.
- Wakefield Museum Located in Wakefield One, Wakefield Museum is small but is a fun way to spend a couple of hours and entry is free!
- Wakefield Library Also in Wakefield One is the library. After the museum, head over and borrow a book or two, During the holidays there are usually activities running too.
- Theatre Royal Over the holidays the theatre has both We're Going On A Bear Hunt and The Railway Children showing. The perfect way to introduce kids to theatre.
- Newmillerdam A lovely walk for the whole family. Feed the ducks, explore the woods and build a den.
- Yorkshire Sculpture Park We absolutely love the sculpture park, it is a great place to have on our doorstep. There are various events on over the holidays, I love the look of the Kaleidoscope drop in sessions.
- Sun Lane Leisure Take them swimming. During the holidays it can get busy so go early or late in the day.
- Pontefract museum Another free local museum. Learn about Pontefracts history including its links with liquorice. Every Saturday there are family fun activities for all.
- Xscape There is so much to do at Xscape for families and this Easter they will also be having free craft activities for the kids so head over for a day of fun.
- Pugneys Take advantage of dry days and head for a walk, scoot or bike ride around Pugneys lake. Drop into the pirate themed play area too.
- Diggerland We visited Diggerland a couple of years back and the boys still talk about it now. It is such a great day for any digger loving kids.
- Castleford museum Become a roman for the day at Castleford Museum. With various family activities on during the holidays this is yet another free museum in our area.
- Bagshaw Museum and Wilton Park Batley is home to the lovely Wilton Park with it's fab playground and lake. The park is also home to Bagshaw Museum. A great local museum with a fab Egypt gallery along get with lots of local history. They are holding a free Easter egg trail on 15th April.
- Hemsworth WaterPark and Playworld Head to Hemsworth to enjoy the waterparks two lakes with sandy beaches, have a ride on the pedalos and enjoy the outdoor adventure playground.
So as you can see there is plenty to do over the Easter holidays in Wakefield. If you fancy venturing a bit further afield why not check out our recent visits to Cannon Hall Farm or Lister Park in Bradford.